Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Radiator moving logistics

Originally, I thought I'd rent a pickup truck from Home Depot or Lowe's to pick up the sandbasted radiators. They had a per hour charge which seemed like a better deal than U-Haul. (U-Haul wanted mileage too) The pick-up had to be carefully orchestrated to minimize u-haul time while insuring that Glenn would be available to get the radiators off the truck. (normally, it's a multiple person job, and there's no way I'd be able to handle it on my own.)

Anyway, so I have a brief for a pro-bono client due on Friday, and we need to get the radiator primed, and painted for a Saturday install. (tenant gets the keys on Sunday). So, Thursday afternoon, I call our sandblaster to verify the radiators were ready for pick-up. The manager tells me no, pick them up in the morning. (absent the fact that I have a brief due, if I pick them up in the morning, I'd have to rent the truck for 8 hours or so which is outrageous). I say, "okay, I'll pick them up in the afternoon."

Nope, the manager says he leaves at noon. Huh? I called on Monday, and he said he's there until 5. If I knew he'd jerk me around, I would have just sandblasted them myself. Who does that? Have arbitrary hours they are open? Of course, my aggravation is increased by staying up until 3:30 the night before. I have a few choice words to say (which were modified from what I actually had wanted to say)

Despite my lack of sleep, on Friday, I wake up with an idea-I'll just rent a van from enterprise! We'd have it for 24 hours. I head out to pick up the radiators (which was quite an adventure, filled with many 8 point turns). When I arrive at 11:45 a.m., the manager is not to be found. He, apparently, went to "lunch." Alright then-I thought he was leaving at noon? (quite the operation he runs!) I convice some guy to give me the radiators, and I paid him, showing the receipt for how much it would cost. After the radiators are delivered into the van via a forklift, I highttail it out of there. Whew! Never needed to see the manager.

I even had the joy of parallel parking my van. For future reference, when a van is loaded up with with radiators only, driving over a blade of grass makes it sound like the radiators are going to go shooting out some door. I was quite happy to finally make it home.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home