Thursday, June 28, 2007

An Unusual Morning

We had a rather rough beginning to our morning at This Old Chicago 2 Flat. (though I think Glenn was more amused then anything else). I started my day like I usually do, open the blinds and look out into our front yard. Usually, this is a great way to start the day-to look at happy flowers, pleasing hostas, and the occasional construction vehicle...Ahh..

But Ahh promptly turned to AARGH! and a vision of me quickly changing from pajamas into suitable outdoor clothing. (we are in the middle of the city, so there's quite a large chance that someone would see me in my pajamas if I stormed outside). The quick change was promptly followed by my quickly running around to get my camera (I try to be a good blogger), and our "varmit spray."

You see, this is what I spotted:


A close-up:



I'm sure for many of you, you are thinking, aw...how cute, a baby bunny. yes, it is cute-as long as it is on the other side of the fence.


I don't want it eating our newly planted japanese maple, or any of the plants that I like to look at first thing in the morning. Of added concern is locating and discouraging the marigold beheader. You see, that's something else that's been going on. I'm not talking about deadheading (removing spent blooms), but the really odd taking off a marigold bloom that is thriving then leaving it next to the plant. I would never do this, nor would Glenn-so who is? The bunny is the most logical critter to point a finger at. If it were a passerby-wouldn't he/she take the flowers with him/her?

Anyway, armed and ready, I ran down the stairs and out the front door to encounter the young bunny. For a moment I was at a loss, couldn't see the bunny, and when I did, it was eating something I didn't mind it eating. So, instead I stood guard a few feet from the bunny, and the bunny popped right back through the fence. Whew.
I then promptly sprayed around the japanese maple in hopes of scaring it from coming back.

Of a larger concern is whether the more frequent bunny sightings signal a much larger problem. In the city, we don't have the foxes or coyotes that the suburbs do that might keep the bunny population to a bearable minimal. We have cars, but I don't usually see bunnies hanging out in the middle of the road. There's also more concrete and asphalt and buildings then green space.

I really didn't think I'd need to deal with wildlife unless we were living in the suburbs.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha !! choose your battles !! bunnys are around a month. Here at this old two flat andersonvile our dog chases them away and we wish they would stay we're not as anal about our plants. How much damage can they do compared to watching them bop around the yard ??

July 05, 2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Interesting. Here, the bunnies started out around March which is the first time I saw one-maybe we just have more in these parts.

I'm happy to watch them bop around in the next door neighbors yard, (lots are small), or even the vacant lots or parks in the area (or the overgrown yard across the street).

As for damage, we just planted our Japanese Maple a couple weeks ago which was a fair amount of money. I'd really like it to survive. The yard has also been our safe haven from constuction that continues throughout our house. When we bought our home, it had 4-5 feet of growth. We still have things we'd like to get done with it.

July 05, 2007 10:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am a journalist working on a story for the New York Times Magazine on first time home-owners. I'd love to include a renovation project. Owners would need to meet the following criteria:

*home must have been purchased in last 18 mos or so
*homeowner/s (at least one) was 32 at time of purchase

If you meet these criteria or know someone who does, please contact me. My deadline is the end of this week (July 13). (You can contact me at my blogger display name at verizon dot net)

July 10, 2007 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home