Thursday, June 21, 2007

Cicada Mystery

There are many areas of the chicago area getting inundated by cicadas. From what I hear, it really can be quite a mess. My Inlaw's have a bunch at their place. For those not around Chicago, 2007 is a year that the 17 year cicada cycle happens. Cicadas come out from under the ground, and over the course of the month of June, make a whole bunch of noise, mate, put their eggs into tree roots, and die. Glenn and I have visited the suburbs and passed through areas where the sound of the cicadas can be deafening. They come out in such numbers because they are slow and are bound to be taken out by predators. (from what I hear, birds, wildlife, dogs, everything imaginable enjoys the cicada delicacy). When they emerge, they also leave their shell, so it's a mess.

So what's the mystery? Down here in This Old Chicago 2 Flat's neck of the woods we have seemingly escaped. No hoards coming up from the ground, no mind numbing noise, nothing. But, 2 days ago, we found a dead one on our porch. Just now, I found a dead one on my plant. You think if there's a dead one around, there must have been an alive one, right? My best guess is that something (like a bird)carried it to our neck of the woods, ate the body, then deposited the carcas. Or, decided that they had their fill of cicadas and would just let it be.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello,
i'm a bit north of you and my dogs are enjoying cicada sushi every day. it's quite a sight! i've written about them a bit in my blog--www.fixerupper.typepad.com. check it out or e-mail me :0). i'd like to put you on my favorite houseblogs list.
adrienne

June 21, 2007 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Few years ago when the cicadas cycled in Kansas City, my cat caught one on our third-floor porch and brought it in the house. I discovered this when I heard the manic buzzing from her over-stretched and desperately-closed little mouth!

June 21, 2007 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

None here either, but we aren't that far from you just a bit more west in North Mayfair on the NW side.

-Debb (Forgotten bungalow)

June 22, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

none in rogers park either! I heard the soil is too sandy here for them.

June 23, 2007 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home