Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A slight hiccup with the gates

We now have lockable gates, but we haven't really locked them yet. The two gates (one for the side of the house, and the other for the front of the property) require 2 separate keys. This is just not practical-particularly with tenants. That would mean that we would have (1) front gate key (2) side gate key (3) front door key (4) 1st floor apartment key (5) first floor apartment skeleton key for some of the locks (6) 2nd floor apartment key (7) storeroom key (8) 2nd store room key. Doesn't that seem like a lot for one house?!? Of course, we don't carry all these around at once, but it is still a lot!



I didn't realize I needed to specify at installation that both gates should use the same key. I really don't feel like paying $100 for a locksmith to correct the problem. I'm now on the quasi hunt for somewhere to get them rekeyed. (yes, I know, a locksmith or home depot or something). The little wrinkle is that we upgraded to Baldwin locks. Home Depot is by far the cheapest option, but when I asked about Baldwin locks, the person said "they are the same as schlage." I have a bit more faith in a locksmith...



Besides for that, the gates have garnered a little attention. We have been here for 4 years (about). There's a woman who lives across the street who has never smiled at us, said hi, acknowledged our presence in any way. Odd. Wednesday, I'm getting in my car, and she says "do your gates lock now?" She follows with "my landlady said someone stole all your flower pots."

Hmmmm....



No, I don't think this woman was responsible for the pots or other stolen items-I just think it a bit odd that in 4 years now it's time to call out across the street.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting story. I locked myself out of my apartment two days ago. And I called to locksmith company. They said that locksmith will come in 30-40 minutes. Probably he has a lot of work and I expected that will he come after one hour. Within 10 minutes time, the locksmith arrived. I was really surprised. He was a tall and fair guy. He brought along all his gears from lightweight to heavyweight. He opened in 5 minutes. So, I was really happy. Hiring a good locksmith is never cheap. But hiring a dishonest or incompetent one is always expensive.

February 05, 2008 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home