Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Hazards of Summer Vacation

I just returned from a week long trip to Wichita, Kansas to visit my Grandmom, various aunts and uncles, many cousins, and my mom (who also made an appearance). Glenn stayed in Chicago. I was a bit worried when I left town as there's a lot I do in the garden on a daily basis that get done, but Glenn might not see. The big one, of course, is watering. The first couple times I spoke to him when I was gone, I kept on asking "did you water, what about X plant, what about that one."

He had a really busy week while I was gone. For the most part, he did okay. The vast majority of our plants were looking relatively happy when I returned. One rose bush actually grew a lot under his care. The troublemakers of the bunch were plants that had been struggling a bit before I left. One new rose bush that we planted, consistently struggled, but flowered while I was away. (its last hoorah before promptly shriveling up and dying before my return). I'm thinking sunlight may have been a problem.

The second casualties were our tomato plants. For whatever reason, they have consistently been unhappy and migrated over to despair while I was out of town. A couple waterings may have been missed, and now, every branch looks dead. Overall, I'm disappointed that this was such a bad season for tomatoes. Our peppers, on the other hand had been doing well before I left, and still are.

I'm thankful though that Glenn was around to do a bunch of watering because otherwise I'm sure there would have been a lot more casualties. Everything that wasn't already struggling survived without issue.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home