Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mysterious Wall Problem

A really bizarre thing is going on with our wall. I was all set to post a photo and say "what on earth can it be?" Now, I need help it figuring out possible causes.

This is a section of our bedroom wall. Behind the wall is a chimney (that vents our boilers). The wall itself is plaster, with a skim coat of compound on top, followed by latex paint. (The plaster had a mixture of paint on it as well, oil and the like).

As you can see from the photo, it appears that moisture is in the wall, and is collecting at the "bubble" points. (this is the photo from this morning)


The "water" issue starts at the picture molding and works it's way down. There are no other apparent areas anywhere else on the wall.

The cosmetic fix is easy-relieve pressure, let the water out, scrape, patch and paint. But, more troubling is if water is getting in, where is it coming from, and how can we stop it from coming in?

Of course, all this is happening in our one finished room which doesn't make us remotely happy. Our bedroom to boot.

Oh, an another fact for anyone who didn't read the "unfreezing pipes" post, is that it is currently -1 out. The past few days have been extremely cold.(ie. highs under 5 degrees) Our bedroom has a mega radiator so is really warm.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Not knowing anything else about your home's set up, my first guess is the moisture is either coming down the chimney or something of the like. Sorry, doubt that is much help to you.

February 06, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger allison said...

I also think the problem is coming from the chimney. Do you know if the chimney has a liner? My guess is that either it has no liner and the bricks are wearing away (plus condensation inside the chimney) or the liner is not fitted properly or is damaged. I would have it inspected soon. Try csia.org or another chimney sweep and repair association. This could turn into a major problem inside the walls. Good luck!

February 09, 2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

The chimney does not have a liner-which is a really expensive project.

Ugh!

February 11, 2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger allison said...

I know the chimney liner is a huge expense (we have done it in two houses), but it also can be a major safety issue, particularly is you are using the fireplace or it is on the furnace or boiler side. You should check to make sure it is safe to use the fireplace. In our last house it was a carbon monoxide problem just waiting to happen. We had to install a fan at the top and everything. Not cheap!

February 13, 2007 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home